Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

'SAFE TOWING' vs. 'UNSAFE TOWING' Question "Very Old Topic"

07 Jul 2002 04:47

Scott Burrows Wrote:
I have a question, for those of you who would care to share some relevant information: does any police jurisdiction in your area require what one (I'll detail it later in this posting) agency defines as a "SAFE TOW"?

This agency defines a "safe tow" as towing the disabled or wrecked unit from the end that weighs the least, i.e.: towing a bob-tail semi-tractor from the rear, rather than from the front. They further define towing a vehicle from its heavier end, rather than its lighter end to be an "unsafe tow", and cited a KY tower for this infraction (with some other 'offenses').

A KY tower was in Indiana recently, as was cited for being 1,500 # overweight on his drive axles. In addition to the overweight citation, he also received a citation for an 'unsafe' tow; when he questioned the definition of a 'safe' versus 'unsafe' tow, the justification given was the explanation related in the previous paragraph.

Questioning the officials (and their supervisors) after the fact, he inquired how a tower would be judged if the vehicle was towed from its heavier end, if the disability or defect allowed towing ONLY from the heavy end. The reply: then, a 'unsafe' tow would be permitted.

So, my question is, are you familiar with any other jurisdiction that enforces or stipulates the fashion in which a vehicle is to be towed? The Towing & Recovery Assn. Of KY plans to address this in an upcoming meeting with Indiana enforcement officials, who have since opened channels of communication, after a successful meeting TRAK sponsored with KY towers and enforcement officers.

Thanks for your responses.

In Memory of Chuckinfla who said:
Scott, if it's alright with you I am going to print your post,and get an official answer from a friend of ours who works for DOT here in Florida. I will/can black out your name and Assoc name if you prefer.

Gale25yrssaid:
I have heard of reducable load issues with front or rear towing. I know Oregon at times has checked for the 50% front axle weight.Gale

EricGodard CA said:
This is one that I have never heard of. The closest thing to that here would be the mto (dot) tell us that any defect on the truck/car mostbe off the ground.
they can go as far as making a customer repair the brakes on one axle before they get it towed if the mto pulls the plates. the axle on the ground must be safe.

Heffy004 said:
Scott == It seems that they are missing some VITAL INFORMATION.

1.-- Attachment points.

2.-- Tire load rating.

3.-- Mechanical component stability or failure.

I am sure that there are other issues that could be addressed with this.

Should a Wrecker Operator perform a U.S.D.O.T. Inspection on a Commercial Vehicle, before he tows it ( ?? ),just to qualify his hook-up & procedures == assuming his hook up is proper.

Yes, we have been stopped by PENNDOT at the border, on
I-80,going into Pa.
Proper tie-down, crossed safety chains, lites to the rear, air supply for a break-a-way, medical card & log book, permits, road-call sheet ( instead of a bill of lading ), besides D.O.T. #, proper registration & insurance card are all required.

BUT, THEY HAVE NEVER, EVER, given us a ticket for unsafe tow due to being hooked up to the front or rear of any power unit. But, we know, they won't let us tow a combo. unit across state lines.

Please keep us updated on this.

Catch ya later & C'ya in the ditch.

HEFFY

jrm698 said:
it sounds like they are trying to make up rules and laws for some thing they know nothing about
James R Maurer W. Endre Towing Wilmette, Il WM 6/7B 010670

Heartland Service said:
It sounds to me that they may not always know which method is safe or unsafe.

There are many times that picking the heaviest end is safer, ie weight transfer to the single front tires, air dams, suspensions and the list goes on.

I would definitely challenge this in court if I was cited, and embarrass the prosecutor terribly on this one.

If anyone gets a ticket challenge it.

Jeff

In Memory of Jackstowing who said:
I personally would like to see a copy of this statute. Not knowing the particulars, I believe it's the interpretation that is in question, not the statute.

Chances are, there is more to this story than we are provided.

Jack...

Scott Burrows said:
As always, there is more to any story than meets the eye; I am not current on all the minor details, but I will mention that this particular DOT enforcement official (female) seems to have a 'bee in her bonnet' for KY tow trucks in particular, and tow trucks in general.

Having said that, I am planning a visit directly to this officer, after having made contact with her direct superiors, going all the way to Indianapolis, if necessary.

So, there you have it: use caution when crossing the weigh station platform in central Indiana, on Interstate 65, near Seymour. Or, if you fail to properly prepare, they may 'see more' of you guys at the court house.

SB

Archived